Monday, February 9, 2015

Hakone and Mt. Fuji

When we reach a port, we have the option of traveling on our own (many students and faculty with families do this to save $$$), or going into port each day and then staying on the ship, or doing planned “field programs” that Semester at Sea organizes in each country. Since I was so busy last fall, and since I spend all of my time on the ship preparing for class and visiting with students (seriously, this is all I do all day long, and it’s a blast), Karen and I signed up for as many field programs as we possibly could. I actually spent every dime that the University of Virginia is paying me on these trips, so I truly am teaching in exchange for traveling the world. Not a bad gig.

Our first overnight field program of our voyage was from Hakone to Hiroshima overland by bus and bullet train.  

Some observations - my own facts/opinions/observations here after a week in Japan:

Mount Fuji is difficult to see in the winter because it likes to hide in the clouds (“it’s a shy mountain”, says our guide Myumi) but when it comes out it is spectacular.Really easy to see why the people here find it so special. I look at it as a volcano first, but it's breathtaking in a way that few volcanoes can match.



The food continues to be amazing. Anything with noodles and broth is fantastic.



Japan is one of the cleanest countries you will ever visit.

It's very frowned upon to walk around and eat and drink, and you will get a lot of funny looks if you do. Even if you try to hide it, they will spot you and give you that disapproving eye. I never realized how much I eat while I move. It's even tougher here too because you can't find a garbage can anywhere outside (because they don't eat and walk, there is no need) so you end up carrying your wrappers everywhere. 

The toilets in Japan are engineering marvels. Seriously, they are the rage of our trip. People are still talking about them (especially now, after visiting China, where the bathrooms have been hideous). They are heated, play soothing sounds. Blast your ass with nice warm water if you wish. I want one for home.



The food is amazing. Oh yes, I already mentioned that. Even on the bullet trains.


After riding the bullet train, it’s now the only way I want to travel. I cringe to think I will have to keep flying to visit things in the US. I wish we would get our shit together and embrace this form of travel. Faster (if you figure in total travel time), easier, safer, and FAR more comfortable. Flat out enjoyable.

The people here are so warm and friendly. And helpful! For people from two countries who have done some of the worst acts towards one another in all of human history, it makes you feel happy to be a human when you get to experience how American and Japanese people treat one another. I know there are problems that lie beneath the happy faces, but the degree to which they try to make visitors welcome says a lot about their culture.

The country has spectacular scenery.

Oh, and the food is amazing. Did I mention that?

The first day we spent traveling around Hakone, which is a mountainous area of recently active volcanoes, hot springs and views of Mt. Fuji when it cooperates. We spent the day sightseeing, learning about the local history and geology (which was cool for me). We stayed in a very nice hotel and had the best buffet that I’ve ever had – wall to wall Japanese dishes. 



This was one of those easy sightseeing days where we really took in the very best of the people, the culture, and the natural beauty. The next day we headed off for Hiroshima, where some of the worst humankind has to offer is on display with reconciliation. But that's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment